Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Detour from the Norm: Jewelry Making


So I had a whole different post planned but after driving to town in fog, teaching class and taking lessons, then driving home in the dark, I thought I'd do something that takes less preparation. In between my private sewing lessons I get to learn some jewelry making techniques. I've been especially delighted with learning how to make my own findings. These are the fruits of my labors so far.
The purple stones are called aqua terra jasper and I
made those cool swoopy findings.
The brown ones are just cool beads. They're the first
ones I made and learned how to wrap the wires.


I made these swoopy ear wires too! These are all real pearls. Just like we used to turn the flowers colors with food coloring in the water these pearls are colored the same way. So the colors go all through the layers of the pearl. I thought this was cool.

More real pearls and some very sparkly iridescent beads.
Can you tell I love iridescence?
So, that's all from me. Now I just need some fancy occasion to wear my swanky new earrings to. Jewelry making is one of the few other creative avenues I've allowed myself to branch out into. Do you try each and every craft or do you limit yourself? I've found I must limit myself to keep my sanity and pursue excellence in something.
Now I'm off to bed!

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Lovely earring and I haven't yet tried to make my own wires. This is one of my other hobbies, being petite I can make them to suit my size!

Andrea Firth said...

Lovely earrings! I must say I've tried lots of other crafts over the years. I've got so many craft supplies, my husband just wishes I'd do a few of them every now and then. Let's see: teddy bear making, cross stitch, crewel embroidery, glass painting, jewellery making, scrapbooking, knitting, crochet. I'm sure there's more, but I think that's enough for now!

Heather Bee said...

Pretty pretty! Nice to have a small project you can finish in a couple of hours too.

Angela said...

Is it even possible to limit yourself with crafts? I'll tell you what, I may not be an expert at any one thing, but I've dabbled in enough crafts to be able to sew/crochet/draw/paint/plaster/bead/build/ create just about anything my son can dream up.

Chuleenan said...

Pretty! Making jewelry must be a nice break from sewing.

EmSewCrazy said...

Oh! I never thought about needing even earrings in petite sizes. That's really cool.

EmSewCrazy said...

Yeah, it is nice to feel like you've FINISHED something! :)

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! I know it's a hard impulse to resist! :) I was offered to start painting and I turned it down. Glass painting sounds really cool though!

EmSewCrazy said...

That's so cool! If there's a need for a specific something I'll definitely branch out but I'm trying to not run headlong into everything... What do you make out of plaster?

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! It is a nice break...

BĂ©atrice said...

Ooh! So pretty! I keep promising myself I'll sign up for one of those wirework classes, and never quite getting round to it. You're making me think I really really should!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! It's a lot of fun. It's one of those things that isn't as hard as you thought but there's a lot of little steps and finessing that you never would have known if someone wasn't teaching you.

Jennifer Lauren said...

I haven't made jewellery in years! You've inspired me to pull out my beads!!

EmSewCrazy said...

Yea! Have fun. It's a refreshing change.