Friday, February 14, 2014

February StashBusting Interview Tips On Sewing For Others

Hello Stashbusters! Do I have a treat for you! The lovely Katie from Kadiddlehopper is my guest poster for this month. Her monthly lists and the amount of sewing she gets done are a true inspiration. Without more ado, I'll let her share her tips on sewing for others this month! Happy Valentines day!

I'm so excited to be able to share some stashbusting tips here with Emily! I was thrilled when she and Cindy of Cation Designs continued their Stashbusting Sewalong into this year. Last year it was so helpful to have the support of the other stashbusters, and this year has been even better! So anyway, on the the interview!

Tell us a bit about yourself. How long have you been sewing? What do you like to sew?
Hey y'all! I'm Katie and I blog at Kadiddlehopper. My mother taught me to sew so long ago that the memory is lost in the sands of time. As long as I can remember, I've had a needle and thread in hand. I also took some Home Ec. classes in Junior High, but I generally just ended up helping the other students in my class. When I was an unruly teen, my sewing took a back burner to general rabble rousing and it wasn't until I was pregnant with my second child that I remembered that I knew how to sew. My prescient hubby had gifted me with a sewing machine several years earlier. I fired that baby up and got to work! Before I knew what had happened, I was sewing my own wardrobe, as well as most of what my children wear. I've occasionally dabbled in Home Dec and bag sewing. I even have pieces of a quilt in a closet somewhere, but my one true love is sewing garments. 
Clockwise from top left - Emma's winter SWAP, outfit #1, Ottobre baby gift, Simplicity 4711, Emma's winter SWAP, outfit #2, BFF Baby dress, New Look baby dress
Why do you enjoy sewing for others?
Mostly, I really love sewing just for the sake of it, so when I get the chance to do some sewing for someone who appreciates it, I jump at the chance. I'm mostly a selfish seamstress, but I do get a lot of satisfaction of seeing my creations on my loved ones and friends. I also really enjoy sewing children's clothing. There are fewer fit issues and the projects use smaller pieces of fabric - perfect for Stashbusting!
Clockwise from top left: Ottobre dress, Kitschy Coo Mini Penny, Ottobre coat, Kitschy Coo hoodie and Ottobre jeggings, LouBee Hosh Pants
How does sewing for others affect your Stashbusting?
Well, it definitely gives me more variety for my stashbusting efforts! Fabrics that I know I would never use for myself often find purpose in clothing for my family and loved ones. As mentioned, kids clothing also uses up those smaller scraps that we all seem unable to part with. I especially love it when a wee bit of fabric that I held on to for some reason becomes the focal point for a new creative endeavor.
Clockwise from top left: Ottobre jeans, Swim trunks for 2, LouBee Bimaa, Double the PJs, Ottobre outfit, Sporty Pocket shorts, Winter Wonderland tour, Ottobre raglan tees
Any tips or tricks for making sure your handmade item is loved/worn/appreciated?
I think this is the trickiest part of sewing for others. I find that the more involved I can get the recipient into the process, the more likely it is to be appreciated. When sewing for my own family, I will ask for help in choosing the pattern or fabric. Sometimes I'll ask my kids to come into the sewing room to choose fabric for themselves or ask them to draw me a picture of what they want. When you are sewing a gift, this is a little trickier, especially if you want the gift to be a surprise. In that case, I think the better you know the person you are sewing for, the more likely you are to make them something that they will love. Consider the colors they like and their lifestyle. Do they love bright colors or prefer subdued tones? Do they like their clothing to be trendy and of-the-moment or do they have a more classic style? The closer you are to the person, the more likely you are to be able to answer those kinds of questions, and the more successful you will be.
Clockwise from top left: Burda pants, Bow tie, Kwik Sew pullover, Kwik Sew bike shorts, Vogue shirt
What have you sewn that you and the receiver loves the most?
Ooo, that's a tricky one! I've been sewing pretty constantly for quite a while, so I've made a lot of things! I think if I had to choose just one thing I think it would be Myra's Princess Merida costume. I made it for her for Christmas 2012, and it is still the favorite of all her dress up dresses. She wears it all the time. In fact, she's wearing it as I type this.
The fact that my most-loved piece is a simple knit costume dress reminds me that our projects don't have to be fancy, couture ballgowns or super detailed and difficult for them to be loved. They just have to come from the heart and speak in some way to those we're sewing for.

I'm so glad I got to share a bit of my sewing and Stashbusting journey with you today. I hope your needles will always be sharp and your seams always straight. Happy Stashbusting, y'all!!

2 comments:

Heather Bee said...

Katie is definitely the mother of all stash busters. :)

EmSewCrazy said...

TOTALLY! I am always blown away by her monthly lists. You do a pretty good job yourself though.