Monday, October 22, 2012

Vintage Patterns International!


I hope you all are enjoying all the Pattern interviews! I am enjoying getting to know my fellow pattern sellers better and am picking up some tips along the way. Today we are taking vintage patterns global, checking out how things work down under.

Who are you?
My name is Lynda Slade. I have 3 active shops on Etsy: allthepreciousthings, sewnewthings, and SydneyVintageFinds. I live in Sydney, Australia, with my husband, 2 teenage kids and 1 cat. 

How did you get bit by the pattern collecting bug? 
About  5 years ago, I discovered what we in Australia call "op shopping", cruising charity shops for vintage goodies. That’s when I discovered vintage patterns, and started collecting. Around the same time, I discovered Etsy, and my collection went from just local, to global.

Do you sew? Vintage, Modern, or Both?
I’ve always sewed, my Mum taught me as a little girl. I started with Barbie doll clothes, and moved on from there. I’ve always used “modern” patterns, until I discovered  vintage. Now, I rarely ever use modern patterns. I make most of my own clothes, some clothes for my kids (if they let me), and home furnishing items.
I’ve recently discovered vintage sewing machines, too. I picked up a Palmer Princess for $25:
Isn't that a beauty!

and a Singer 319K, which I’m still cleaning and oiling:


Do you have any sewing tips for those of us who do sew with vintage patterns?
Don’t  be afraid of unprinted patterns! There can be advantages to having all your pieces precision factory-cut – you don’t have the tedious task of cutting them out yourself, and you know that they are cut accurately. Also, the perforated symbols (holes) allow you to chalk your markings directly onto the fabric with ease – no fiddling with pins. The markings on “printed” patterns are mostly superfluous, anyway (things like seam allowances).

Any tips for telling how to find great vintage patterns to sew with?
Australia has some unique vintage pattern opportunities, if you know where to look. The “Enid Gilchrist” range of pattern drafting magazines contain whole wardrobes full of vintage outfits, with  lots of helpful sewing tips too. Australian Home Journal magazines are another great resource  - each one was sold with around 3 pre-cut, tissue patterns for women and children, making them great value!
Listing
Listing

What is your favorite pattern of all time? Why?
Wow, that’s a tough one....maybe this one:

Even at $125, it sold in no time. I just love the design of the cape, so elegant.

Why did you start an Etsy store?
After numerous “op shopping” trips, my home started filling up with fabrics, patterns, buttons, glasswear, vintage clothes - you name it. So "allthepreciousthings" was born; it was a nick name my husband coined for all the fabulous "junk" I bought home. Basically, I have to sell the patterns I know are fabulous finds, but can't use myself.  It funds my addiction for patterns to add to my own collection.

What is your favorite part of the selling process? Least Favorite?
I love mailing off a recently sold pattern to a new home – my least favourite part of the process would have to be the scanning and counting pieces.
What is your favorite item in your shop right now? 
I love the graphics on this pattern:
Listing




Which item do you just want to go away?
I like this one, but I’m fed up with looking at it:
Listing


Thank you Lynda for sharing what pattern addiction is like in Australia. Isn't that sports suit wonderful! I love the fabrics. I'm glad she brought up working with unprinted patterns. If all goes well Wednesday I'll be posting a tutorial on sewing with them and my results! 
Have a great week everyone!

No comments: